Friday, September 21, 2012

Wistful for the Walk

We started the school year with a lofty goal of walking to and from school everyday. We are now in our third week of school and I think I have picked my child up or dropped her off at least a third of the time. I find myself scheduling things right after she goes to school and it seems better to drive her. While I value being able to time things and schedule things around her school, I find myself wistful for the walk.
When I was a child we lived less than a half mile from my elementary school and less than 3/4 of a mile from my junior high. My sister and I walked to school. And while we felt like it was five miles, uphill, in the snow everyday, the walk was rarely that bad. My sister may tell you a different story though, as she refused to walk with me because I no fashion sense whatsoever at that age!
Walking is just what we did. I recently asked my mom why we didn't take the bus to junior high. She said that we didn't have the option of the bus due to our proximity to the school. It did not seem to make a difference that we had to cross a major thoroughfare without the benefit of a school zone lighted crosswalk. I am sure I grew to dislike having to walk, I don't remember. I do remember trying to find the absolute shortest route. Being out in the county it seems few students are able to walk to school. Lack of shoulders and sidewalks create a less than safe walking environment. I think those kids may be missing out.
So today we walk to school. It seems to take forever as little sister has such short legs. We take our time. We stop to pick up rock and pine cones. We get to the main road and see the school zone light flashing and the crossing guard in place. Today seems the same as any other day we have walked except it is much cooler. Fall is here. I like our walks to school. Reminds me of a happy time from my childhood. Reliving those times through my daughter.
While I am sure there was a crossing guard when I walked to elementary school, I have no recollection. We have two lovely ladies who keep the kids safe crossing our busy street. We often will see the local police strategically placed to spot any drivers not following school zone laws. I am always happy to see them. I used to be wary of them when I would drive through a school zone before my kid was in school. Probably because I was too close to the speed limit. I have a new perspective now that my kid is the one crossing the busy road. I saw a local sheriff pull over two cars today. If it wasn't for him, I probably would have been shaking my fist at the drivers. I recently saw a woman slap her steering wheel in frustration that the cars in front of her were stopped. She could not see why. I gave her a dirty look and mouthed that there was a crosswalk with people in it. She understand was satisfactorily chastised.
Walking to school is an adventure for all ages. I am glad I have to opportunity to walk with my kids. I am sure as fall turns to winter the walks may be fewer. Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment