Thursday, September 13, 2012

How much is your piece of mind worth?

So, my kids have been sick with colds for the last week. Thankfully my oldest has turned the corner and has started feeling better. My youngest, well, she is still in the midst of it.
I have been giving both girls medicine to help them weather the crud. One is old enough that she can take cough medicine. The youngest can only take pain relievers. Lucky for me the pain relievers were working to relieve some of her symptons. However, the packaging says not to give the pain reliever for more than five days without consulting a physician. So, being the good mom that I am, I call my doctor. Our doctor recommends discontinuing the consistent use of tylenol unless it is warranted. I felt this was a bit harsh and said as much to the nurse who called me back. She suggested I bring Em in for evaluation to make sure there was no underlying issues. So I did.
Switch gears for a minute. How many of you feel like you are paying more for your health insurance? I sure feel like my family does. I am guessing this feeling is widespread throughout the country. Our deductible is pretty high. We have barely paid half of the deductible and it is most of the way through the year. We pay out of pocket until we meet our deductible and then insurance pays a percentage after that. Pretty standard.
So, does Em have anything besides the normal crud? No. It is nice to know that it isn't anything serious. I guess this is just one more doctor visit that will slowly chip away at the deductible. I feel a little silly when it really nothing more than a cold. I do feel better knowing that it is just a cold. How much will this piece of mind cost me?

No comments:

Post a Comment