Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Family Dinner

When I was growing up my parents were insistent on having dinner together as a family. I sometimes would think that was a silly rule but followed it anyway. Mostly I thought it was silly when I was in high school when I had all the social engagements a teenager could have. I didn't really, but I worked after school and I played soccer. I remember sitting in my parent's car taking my dinner break from work, eating Arby's BBQ sandwiches, before I went to a soccer game. We did that several times. In retrospect, I think it was cool that we "car picnicked".
I didn't think I would miss it when I moved out. Honestly, I can't remember if I missed it in college. I remember eating a lot of grilled cheese at my folks house for lunch between classes and work. These were times of being independent and finding my own way. I don't think I missed family dinners when I got my first real job and continued my journey of moving farther north to King county.
It wasn't until I had a family of my own that I started to realize how important it is to have time together. Whether it was dinner or bedtime, I wanted to be there. Now my first real job had turned into a career with airlines and I had to juggled work and family. Balancing by job and family required me to work swing and closing shifts and weekends. It was not conducive to family time.
Fast forward to now. Kindergarten has started with my oldest daughter being in school three full days. Add her soccer practice, my coaching and my Red Cross volunteer work to the mix and guess where we are. I miss having family dinners again.
We got here quite suddenly with school and soccer starting at the same time. Perhaps that is why I notice the difference so profoundly. I look at the calender and I count the days until we can have a family dinner again. I like sitting down and hearing about my kindergartner's day. I crave hearing all the new things she experienced and learned. I want my husband to hear about the adventures my little one has while out and about with me.
I am looking forward to cooking tonight and sitting down with my family tonight. No other plans to but be here with my girls and hubby. Smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment