Thursday, April 25, 2013

As Good As Your Name

Do you ever wonder what people will say about you after you are gone? I do sometimes. I want to be known as a hard worker, kind, compassionate and helpful. I would love it if friends and family smiled at the thought of my name.
I know that sounds a little bit morbid. For me, thinking about this helps me work toward being that person. Does that make sense?
My first job was working for a music company that sold instruments and sheet music. I worked in the warehouse and then the sheet music department. When I grew out of that job and started working for the airlines, I would go back and visit periodically. My old supervisor would introduce me to the person(s) who was working the position I used to have. She would joke about why certain things are done the way they are because something I did or didn't do. I was ditzy, high school student, what can I say. One thing she reminded me of was how hard I worked, when I worked there. I worked hard when I worked there and that is how I am remembered. That makes me smile.
I want to keep working toward that end, being a hard worker, so I am remembered as a hard worker. Or being compassionate so that I am remembered as being compassionate. Do you understand now?
What about a company name? Are you a patron of certain businesses because they have a good reputation, good customer service? Is it the name of the company that has the good name or the people who provide the good customer service? How does a company get a good name?
What places do you frequent because the establishment has a good name?
So, who are you? How are you getting from who you are know to who you want to be? What will be said about you when you leave your place of employment? How do you want to be remembered?

No comments:

Post a Comment