Thursday, December 20, 2012

In spite of me or inspired by me

I received the email below from my daughters kindergarten teacher today. While I was volunteering in the classroom, the teacher approached me to see if I had read her email. When I told her I hadn't she explained the situation and let me read the email she was going to resend to me.
I beamed with immense pride when I read the email. I wonder if she is this was in spite of how I have behaved toward her in the past. I haven't been the most patient or kind mother. Before I starting dealing with my depression and anxiety I was not the nicest person. So I read this email and recognize that my daughter is this way in spite of me.
Then I wonder if I can take credit for this at all. I hope so. I know she gets a lot of these tendencies from her daddy. He is a lot more patient than I am. Part of me does want to take credit for this but I have to give my husband the kudos that he is due. Maybe just a small part of this behavior is because of me.
No matter what way I look at it, I am immensely proud of my daughter.

Anne,
I thought I would pass on this beautiful act of kindness from daughter on Friday.       

On Friday, John was really amped up and excited (probably the concert).  He needed to talk a lot, and had trouble focusing on his work.  I usually offer “other quiet work places” for his table-mates if they need some space.  This time I asked John if he would like to choose a quiet place in the room to work, and offered him my big, “teacher table”.   He loved it and said yes and moved there to work.  A few minutes later, I noticed that Sarah had picked up her work, and moved next to him.  I tiptoed over and heard her encouraging him to keep practicing to write/trace the letters.  She was actively coaching, mentoring him and giving the kind of emotional support he so needs.

This will be one of my favorite student memories for years to come.   You have a very special, beautiful girl.  Thank you for letting me experience her as part of my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment