Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Blessings



If I added anything more to this blog entry I would take away from the greatness of it. Happy Thanksgiving!
Enjoy this post from Jen Lautenbach.


It is the day before Thanksgiving and you are girding your loins, either to attend a family function or perhaps even more stressful, host a family function.  I use the term “family” very loosely.  Family may be your blood relations, close friends or just you and your other-half.  Whatever the configuration, Thanksgiving is a time to BE THANKFUL!  In The Lump of Coal, Lemony Snicket writes
“It is a miracle if you can find true friends, and it is a miracle if you have enough food to eat, and it is a miracle if you get to spend your days and evenings doing whatever it is you like to do, and the holiday season – like all the other seasons – is a good time not only to tell stories of miracles, but to think about the miracles in your own life, and to be grateful for them.”


Being grateful is defined on Dictionary.com as “warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness or benefits received; thankful”.  I am deeply grateful for a number of things in my life.  Namely my family which includes a funny, irritating, wonderful husband that works tirelessly to provide for our family so that I may stay home with our boys.  I am deeply grateful for three, healthy, happy boys.  They are my miracle and I do not take for granted what a blessing they are, even in the midst of some calamity which makes me want to strangle them ala Homer Simpson.  I am also grateful for the smaller blessings in my life.  The pedicure my mother-in-law gives me for my birthday.  The way Fed-Ex stacks boxes on my back steps when I get a Willow House delivery.  The gift closet (actually a drawer) I have filled with perfect presents just waiting for a recipient.   I plan to be diving into that gift “closet” soon to give some thanks to my wonderful hosts and hostesses over Thanksgiving. 
Taking a gift to your host is a wonderful way to show your gratitude for their hospitality.  I was watching The Chew some time ago and Clinton Kelly gave some rules for those gifts.  DON’T bring a bottle of wine expecting your host to serve it that evening.  DO bring a bottle, in a decorative wine bag, for them to enjoy later.  DON’T bring flowers straight from the grocery store.  The last thing a hostess wants to juggle is finding a vase and arranging flowers while trying to get dinner on the table or greet other guests.  DO arrange them in a simple vase that will not clash with your host’s décor.  
A few things in my stash are wine gift bags, Christmas ornaments, puzzles, handmade dishrags and potholders, candles and decorative candle holders, wine charms, a couple small vases and cool decks of cards (who wouldn’t smile playing with a deck of Elvis cards).  I am ready for the holiday season and look forward to showing my host how much I appreciate them with a small token.  If you find your gift closet depleted or (gasp) do not have one, call me, I will happily go shopping with you!
Have a great Thanksgiving and enjoy your time together, being grateful for the miracles, big and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment